OD10748C: Planning and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Planning and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (SCCM)
Get detailed instruction and hands-on practice planning and deploying Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager and its associated site systems. This three-day Microsoft Official course is designed for IT Professionals who are responsible for designing and deploying one or more System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager sites and all supporting systems, as well as configuring and managing endpoints in those systems. You will learn how to plan for the deployment of the central administration site, one or more primary sites and secondary sites, and all associated site systems. You will also learn how to migrate from System Center 2012 Configuration Manager to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Audience profile
- At course completion
- Course Outline
- About Microsoft Official Course On-Demand
At course completion
- Describe the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager infrastructure.
- Plan and deploy a stand-alone primary site.
- Plan and configure role-based administration.
- Plan and deploy a multiple site hierarchy.
- Replicate data and manage content in Configuration Manager.
- Plan resource discovery and client deployment.
- Configure Internet and cloud-based client management.
- Maintain and monitor System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Migrate to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
Module 1: Overview of System Center 2012 R2 Configuration ManagerThis module explains the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager infrastructure and the typical deployment scenarios.Lessons
- Introduction to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Site System Roles
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Optional Site System Roles
- Overview of Configuration Manager Deployment Scenarios
- Overview of the Configuration Manager Client
- Describe the System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager architecture.
- Describe the Configuration Manager server infrastructure.
- Describe typical Configuration Manager deployment scenarios.
- Describe the Configuration Manager client.
Module 2: Planning and Deploying a Stand-Alone Primary SiteThis module explains how to plan and deploy a stand-alone primary site.Lessons
- Planning a Configuration Manager Stand-Alone Primary Site Deployment
- Preparing to Deploy a Configuration Manager Primary Site
- Installing a Configuration Manager Site Server
- Performing Post-Setup Configuration Tasks
- Tools for Monitoring and Troubleshooting a Configuration Manager Site
Lab : Installing a Configuration Manager Primary SiteLab : Performing Post-Setup Configuration Tasks
- Describe the planning tasks for a System Center 2012 Configuration Manager primary site deployment.
- Identify the preparation steps for deploying Configuration Manager 2012.
- Install a Configuration Manager 2012 primary site.
- Perform post-setup configuration tasks.
- Describe the tools that you can use to monitor and troubleshoot a Configuration Manager 2012 installation.
Module 3: Planning and Configuring Role-Based Administration
- Overview of Role-Based Administration
- Identifying IT Roles in Your Organization
- Configuring Role-Based Administration
Lab : Planning and Configuring Role-Based Administration
- Describe role-based administration concepts.
- Describe the process for identifying the roles in a typical IT department and its corresponding responsibilities and activities.
- Configure role-based administration.
Module 4: Planning and Deploying a Multiple-Site HierarchyThis module explains how to plan and deploy a multiple site hierarchy including a central administration site, primary sites, and a secondary site.Lessons
- Planning a Configuration Manager 2012 Multiple-Site Hierarchy
- Deploying a Configuration Manager 2012 Site
- Deploying the Central Administration Site
- Deploying Primary Sites in a Hierarchy
- Deploying Secondary Sites
Lab : Installing a Site HierarchyLab : Verifying a Site HierarchyLab : Installing a Secondary Site
- Describe the architecture and characteristics of a System Center 2012 Configuration Manager multiple-site hierarchy.
- Describe the role of the central administration site in a hierarchy.
- Prepare for and perform the installation of the central administration site.
- Prepare for and perform the installation of primary sites in an existing hierarchy.
- Identify the need to install secondary sites and perform the installation of a secondary site.
Module 5: Replicating Data and Managing Content in Configuration Manager 2012
- Introduction to Data Types and Replication
- Managing Data Replication
- Planning Content Management
Lab : Configuring, Monitoring, and Troubleshooting Data ReplicationLab : Planning and Configuring Content Management
After completing this module, students will be able to:
Describe site and global data types and how data is replicated throughout the hierarchy.
Manage data replication.
Plan for content management.
Module 6: Planning Resource Discovery and Client DeploymentThis module explains how to plan and use various methods to discover resources and deploy the Configuration Manager client.Lessons
- Identifying Resources by Using Configuration Manager Discovery Methods
- Client Deployment in Configuration Manager
- Deploying Windows-Based Configuration Manager Clients
- Managing Configuration Manager Clients
- Monitoring Client Status in Configuration Manager
Lab : Implementing Configuration Manager Client Deployment
- Describe processes and methods for resource discovery.
- Describe the client-installation process and client-deployment methods.
- Plan and complete a typical client deployment.
- Manage Configuration Manager clients after installation.
- Describe the new Client Health feature in Configuration Manager.
Module 7: Configuring Internet and Cloud-Based Client ManagementThis module explains how to plan and configure Internet and cloud-based client management.Lessons
- Managing Remote Clients by Using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Managing Internet-Based Configuration Manager Clients
- Configuring Cloud Services in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
Lab : Configuring PKI for Configuration ManagerLab : Configuring Windows Intune Integration with System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Manage remote clients by using System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Manage Internet-based Configuration Manager clients.
- Configure cloud services in System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
Module 8: Maintaining and Monitoring System Center 2012 Configuration ManagerThis module explains how to perform maintenance tasks and monitor the Configuration Manager site systems.Lessons
- Overview of Configuration Manager 2012 Site Maintenance
- Performing Backup and Recovery of a Configuration Manager Site
- Monitoring Configuration Manager 2012 Site Systems
Lab : Maintaining System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Describe Configuration Manager site-maintenance tasks.
- Back up and recover a Configuration Manager site.
- Monitor Configuration Manager site systems.
Module 9: Migrating to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
- Overview of the Migration Process
- Preparing Configuration Manager 2007 Sites for Migration
- Configuring Migration Settings
- Migrating Objects
- Upgrading Configuration Manager 2012 to Configuration Manager 2012 with SP1 and then to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager
Lab : Migrating from System Center Configuration Manager 2007 to System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Describe the migration process from Configuration Manager 2007 to Configuration Manager 2012.
- Prepare Configuration Manager 2007 sites for migration.
- Configure migration settings.
- Migrate objects.
- Upgrade a Configuration Manager site to System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager.
- Networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP and Domain Name System (DNS)
- Active Directory® Domain Services (AD DS) principles and management
- Windows Server management including managing Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012
- Windows Client fundamentals
- Deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers
- Basic public key infrastructure (PKI) concepts
- Configuration Manager features and administrative tasks including:
- Working with the System Center 2012 Configuration Manager or newer administrator console
- Installing clients
- Maintaining hardware and software inventory
- Working with collections
- Deploying applications
- Managing software updates
- Deploying operating systems
- Settings management
- Course 6419: Configuring, Managing, and Maintaining Windows Server® 2008–based Servers
- Course 20411: Administering Windows Server® 2012
- Course 20687: Configuring Windows® 8.1
- And Either
- Course 10747: Administering System Center 2012 Configuration Manager
- Course 6451: Planning, Deploying, and Managing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007
- Six months of hands-on experience with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager or newer
About Microsoft Official Course On-Demand
About Microsoft Official Course On-Demand
MOC On-Demand is an integrated combination of video, text, practical tasks and knowledge tests designed to help IT experts and developers to expand their knowledge about Microsoft technologies. The courses are a great alternative for anyone wanting to learn independently and at their own pace. They can also be used in the form of a Blended Class together with managed training courses, or as the basis for training solutions with mentoring and other learning programmes.
All Labs within a course can be accessed via the Microsoft Labs Online (MLO) platform. Participants enrolled on a course can start the Labs directly from within a course; they do not need to be set up separately.
Licence codes purchased for the new Skillpipe MOC On-Demand courses can now all be found in the “Digital Library” section. The licence codes for these courses are now provided via the Management Dashboard, just like for the dMOC courses.
System requirements for Skillpipe MOC On-Demand
- current version of Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome™ or Firefox®
- broadband Internet connection (recommended: network bandwidth of over 4Mbps)
- 1280 x 1024 or higher